Serving All Of Utah
(801) 553-0505

Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney for an Out-of-State Car Accident

You've been injured in an out-of-state car accident and want to hire a personal injury attorney to protect your rights. Where should you turn? Is it wiser to choose a local lawyer from your home state, or should you look for a law firm located in the state where the accident occurred?

To answer that question, you'll need to consider the specific location of the car accident. If that's relatively close to your home state, a local lawyer could provide the assistance you need. For help dealing with the aftermath of a crash further away, you may be better served by a personal injury attorney from another state. Read on for more details.

How to find the best car accident lawyer for you

When Hiring a Local Lawyer Makes Sense

Many personal injury law firms have attorneys who are licensed to practice not just in the state where they're located, but also in the other nearby states. For example, William R. Rawlings & Associates is based in Utah, but our lawyers are also licensed in California and Idaho.

If the crash that caused your injuries occurred in a state that is close to your own, you may want to hire a local lawyer. By doing so, you'll have an attorney who is close by, but also able to handle your out-of-state car accident claim.

When to Hire an Attorney from Another State

For legal assistance with a car accident that occurred in a far-away state, you may want to hire a personal injury lawyer from that state – especially if you believe you might be filing a lawsuit.

During the course of the lawsuit, your attorney will need to visit the courthouse multiple times. This would be easier if they didn't have to take a flight out to every hearing. And while most personal injury law firms provide services on a contingency fee basis, any travel costs will likely come from your share of the settlement or court judgement. By hiring a lawyer from the state where the accident took place, you can keep these expenses down.

Protecting Your Rights After an Out-of-State Car Accident

Regardless of where your car accident occurred, consulting with a local personal injury attorney can be a smart first step to take. They'll either be able to provide the legal assistance you need, or they can refer you to a reputable law firm that can.

The highly experienced lawyers at William R. Rawlings & Associates, serving injured victims in Utah, California and Idaho, have the knowledge and skill to guide you through the claims process. We're ready to discuss your out-of-state car accident and how to obtain fair compensation for your injuries – and we offer free, no-obligation consultations. To speak with a trusted personal injury attorney with a long history of successful case results, contact us today.


Attorneys available 24/7 — Free Legal Advice
menuchevron-right linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram